Friday, July 1, 2011

New beginnings

I am a Biology teacher who focuses on the local ecology of the Bronx River. I conducted research at Rye Marshlands as an undergraduate, and studied water quality of the Long Island Sound. My small town of Pelham just touches on the Sound, and my mother's side of the family is from Yonkers. As a child I would visit my grandmother's house and watch the sun set behind the Palisades which majestically line the Hudson. I have lived in different parts of the country, from California, to Virginia and Maryland, but inevitably I keep winding up wedged between the Hudson and the Sound. I am fascinated by this little stretch of land, which can boast several "rivers": the Hutchinson, the Bronx, the Sprain, the Saw Mill, each of which is at most points more like a stream than a river. My studies of water quality began in eighth grade when I did water testing of the Hutchinson River. I would like to use this blog as a space for me to post my findings and keep up to date on all things Hudson to Sound and the minor waterways that lie in between.

However I will also focus on some of the cultural and historical aspects of these places, and will sometimes post regarding my own interests of cooking, running, religion, and teaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment